Following the recent release of the 2011 Intercontinental Cup calendar, the ACO today announced the 2011 Le Mans Series schedule.
The schedule will again feature five rounds of competition, three of which will coincide with ILMC events. Despite the removal of the Hungaroring as a post-Le Mans feature, the series will now visit Italy, with round three to be hosted at the famed Imola grand prix circuit.
The provisional schedule sees the series return to Portugal once more but, having taken into account obvious criticisms from teams, fans, and sponsors, the event has been moved to a later, more convenient date, playing host to the series finale in late September.
With an alternate race format adopted for the Intercontinental Cup, events coinciding with ILMC rounds will now operate with a priority on timed races, as opposed to the distance/time combination (i.e. 1000km/six hours) used previously. Whether series organisers intend to utilise this format outside of ILMC competition remains unclear.
The provisional calendar (subject to FIA approval) can be seen below:
- LMS Official Tests Le Castellet (FRA) March 11-12, 2011.
- Le Castellet 6 Hours (FRA) April 3, 2011.
- Spa-Francorchamps 6 Hours (BEL) May 8, 2011.
- Imola 6 Hours (ITA) July 3, 2011.
- Silverstone 6 Hours (GBR) September 11, 2011.
- Portugal 6 Hours (POR) September 25, 2011. – Circuit yet to be confirmed.